Saturday, February 6, 2016

I See Grapes, Not Giants


Numbers 13:28

“Nevertheless the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there.”

This past Sunday our pastor preached a sermon in the evening service titled, “I Don’t See No Giants.”  The main point of the sermon was that we have to stop focusing on the giants and start focusing on the grapes.  I think that we often have a tendency to be like the spies who returned from the promised land. They had seen that what God had told them about the land flowing with milk and honey was true, they brought back a bunch of grapes that required two men to carry them, and yet they still brought forth what the Bible calls and “evil report.”

How many times have we seen the Lord do amazing things, how many times have we seen Him perform signs and wonders, heal the sick, draw the prodigal back home, provide finances for someone in need, and yet when we are faced with a challenge we cannot believe that he will come through again.

All 12 spies returned and announced that the promised land was truly a land flowing with milk and honey, and here is some of the fruit.  They had all been in Egypt and seen the hand of God deliver them from bondage, saw Him part the Red Sea so they could cross on dry land, eaten of the manna and drank the water that He provided in the dessert, and yet 10 of them just can’t bring themselves to see God conquering giants, Hmmm.

I studied this passage this week, because I am facing a giant in my life at the moment, and I noticed the problem, it was one word: even though they said that it was indeed a land of milk and honey, and they had the fruit to prove it, this one word was their downfall – “BUT”

But the people who live there are strong, and their cities are large and walled. We even saw the three Anakim[a] clans.” (CEV)

That little three-letter word has robbed millions of their faith, stolen their health, snatched their dreams, kept them from their miracle, and slammed the door shut on the promises of God.  I know God can heal, but… I know God can deliver, but… I know God can save, but… I know God can open the door, but… I know God can, but… How many times have we stood at the edge of what God has promised us and failed to take possession of it just because we didn’t believe God was able?  Every time you add a “but” to the promises of God, you limit God and disqualify yourself from His promise.

Giants are employed by the devil to resist you, frustrate you, and steal the promises of God for your life. There are all kinds of giants: fear, sickness, debt, family problems, and the list goes on and on. But whatever name you put on them, the devil’s mission is to keep you out of your blessing, and to keep you from enjoying the promises of God for your life.

I learned an important lesson Sunday night: in life you are either going to have giants or grapes, but you can't have both.  Either the sight of giants will drive your thoughts, capture your attention, decide your actions, and control your life or an appetite for grapes will.  And, if you are motivated and energized and driven by the grapes, then the giants won’t be any problem.  But if you are controlled, manipulated, and dominated by the giants, then you will never taste the grapes.

I can’t remember a message in thirty years as a minister of the gospel, that has impacted my thinking and motivated me to change the way I see the struggles I face in life, as much as my pastor’s message this past Sunday evening.  God has given us great and precious promises and they are ours to inherit or forfeit based on our faith.  I have decided that I will become, through the anointing and power of the Holy Ghost, a giant-killing, grape-grabbing, overcoming child of the living God.  The grapes are mine, God promised them to me and Jesus paid for them.  I am not a trespasser, the giants are the trespassers and it is time to serve an eviction notice to the uncircumcised Philistines that are trying to steal my inheritance.

Special Thanks to:

Pastor Shane Giadrosich – First Pentecostal Church of Richton, MS

No comments:

Post a Comment